I got flannel fabric, some foam, water resistant fabric to go around the foam, elastic and Velcro -- I think everything cost about $10. And, I have materials leftover to use for other projects which I am definitely going to use. I have a friend who is ga-ga over the print so I'll find something to make for him with what's left. She was going to pay me for it but it is going to be my gift to her. The only "payment" I need is that it helped get me out of my funk and actually sewing. I actually considered crocheting it to get out of having to sew but wouldn't give in to that temptation.
I used a piece of yarn to measure around the chest then got to work. I have never made anything like this before and only had enough fabric for one attempt. I measured, double checked and triple checked them before I started cutting. I made the pillow insert first then measured the rest based on that. I used the yarn to measure length then added like 6-inches on both sides to account for the pillow insert.
I am still fighting my anxiety over using the sewing machine so I ended up hand sewing it. It took hours more than it would have taken with the sewing machine but I had no choice if I was going to make it last night.
I am so happy with the way it turned out. Everything was pretty much spot on perfect for measurements and it fits her perfectly. I am amazed that it came out so well. I've not made anything from fabric in so long that I really didn't think it would come out well at all. I need to learn to trust myself a bit more. I've been sewing and making my own patterns for years and years. There are things I would definitely do differently if I were to make another one but I'm not allowing myself to obsess over the imperfections. It achieves the goal, she loves it, and that's good enough.
Next up: a bag for my office roommate (the fabric called out to me) and something else for one of my coworkers whom I have the absolute perfect fabric for that has been calling out to me every time I see it in my crafting closet.